top of page

17 The new Steinberg tunnel


Stud Name:           "Neuer Steinberg - Stollen" because of the route in dense limestone

Struck:          around 1715  

Length:                         280 m

Altitude:                     862 m


The New Steinberg tunnel was built under Emperor Charles VI. struck about 1715.

In 1721, the new Steinberg tunnel - main shaft was already extended to 137 Stabel (163.3m). At that time, the main shaft was started on the left Ulm with the removal of a scoop, which was to remain the only construction of this tunnel.

The new Steinberg tunnel - main shaft was 130 Stabel (155m) in the limestone, then followed up to the Feldort 108 Stabel (129m) poor, changing salt mountains. Shortly before the field site, a dig was sunk to the right into the Rabenbrunn tunnel.

Due to the small extent of the salt mountains, no further constructions could be built in this tunnel, which is why it was abandoned in 1775.

With the decommissioning of the pumping works in the new Steinberg tunnel in 1775, brine production in the Steinberg warehouse also ended.

From this point in time, the extraction activities shifted entirely to the much more productive Pernecker camp.

Until 1769, the center of Ischl salt mining was on the so-called Steinberg. The miner and the miner had their offices here. The ancient "Steinberghaus", mostly made of wood, which is not identical to the "Taxhaus", which is also located here and was demolished in 1821, had already fallen into disrepair around 1820.

In 1821 - 1822 a replacement building was erected for the also dilapidated "Taxhaus", which was referred to as the "Mining Serviceman's House", "New Steinberghaus" or "Existing House" for short. Among other things, the existing, usable ashlars from the old, dilapidated Steinberghaus were used for the construction. The "existing house", which was only used as a woodworker's accommodation, fell victim to a fire in 1943.


Sources used:

Carl Schraml "The Upper Austrian salt works from the beginning of the 16th to the middle of the 18th century", Vienna 1932

Carl Schraml "The Upper Austrian Salt Works from 1750 to the time after the French Wars", Vienna 1934

Johann Steiner "The traveling companion through Upper Austrian Switzerland", Linz 1820, reprint Gmunden 1981

Michael Kefer "Description of the main maps of the kk Salzberg zu Ischl", 1820, transcription by Thomas Nussbaumer, as of September 13, 2016

Anton Dicklberger "Systematic history of the salt pans of Upper Austria", Volume I, Ischl 1807, transcription by Thomas Nussbaumer, as of 06.2018

bottom of page